Pontcysyllte Aqueduct


Pontcysyllte Aqueduct was built by Thomas Telford between 1795 and 1805. There are 18 pillars made of local stone the central ones over the River Dee being 126ft high up to the ironwork

The canal runs through an iron trough 1,007ft long, 11ft 10 inches wide and 5ft 3 inches deep.

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is the largest in Britain, the iron was supplied by William Hazeldine from his foundries at Shrewsbury and nearby Cefn Mawr.

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and the length of the Llangollen canal from the Horseshoe Falls to Chirk Bank is now a World Heritage Site.

VISIT ONLINE: WWW.PONTCYSYLLTE-AQUEDUCT.COM