Accommodation List Hotels Guest Houses Bed and Breakfast Self Catering Camping / Caravan Sites Chirk Accommodation List
Geufron Hall Bed and Beakfast Llangollen Hostel New Ross B&B Plas Hafod B&B The Four Poster B&B and Holiday Cottage Wharncliffe Bed & Breakfast
Argoed Hall Grade II Listed Property Dee Valley Cottages Green Villa Cottage Holiday Home Self Catering Llangollen Hostel Tan-y-Ddol Self Catering Velvet Cottage Self Catering Green Villa Cottage
History Celebrities Committees Competition Winners Competitions Evening Concerts Main Menu ----------------------------------- Llangollen Eisteddfod 1858
How it Started The People who Made it Happen The Early Competitors Message of Peace and Goodwill Pigtailed Angels Harpist in Heaven The Penddol Site - The Marquee Graphics How the Eisteddfod Works The Pavilion Development Trophies The Adjudicators
Old Photos of Llangollen Photos of Llangollen Photos of the Llangollen Area Photos of Valle Crucis Abbey Castell Dinas Bran (1024x768) Horseshoe Pass (1024x768) Llangollen (1024x768) Llangollen Railway (1024x768) Llantysilio & Berwyn (1024x768) Plas Newydd (1024x768) Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (1024x768) The Panorama (1024x768) Valle Crucis Abbey (1024x768)
Rug Chapel and Llangar Church
These delightful religious sites are located close together in beautiful countryside just west of Corwen.
Rug is a rare example of a little altered private 17th century chapel. It's founder, 'Old Blue Stockings' Colonel William Salusbury, collaborated with Bishop William Morgan, first translator of the Bible into Welsh.
The chapel's plain exterior gives little hint of the riches within, an interior which reflects the Colonel's 'High Church' religious views.
A rood screen separated clergy from congregation, members of which could feast their eyes on carved wooden angels and an elaborate roof decorated from end to end. Nothing is spared the artist's hand, not even the beams, which are painted with intertwining rose motifs.
There is more carving to admire at ground level, in the alter rails, family pews, painted gallery and bench ends. As a counterpoint to this exuberance, a ghoulish wall painting of a recumbent skeleton serves as a reminder of mortality.
This wonderful little building makes a large impact on visitors. Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens wrote that the chapel influenced his work, including the Viceroy's House in New Delhi, built 1912-30.
Like Rug, Llangar takes visitors back to another age. The church, superseded by a new one at nearby Cynwyd in the 1850's, retains many ancient features, including extensive 15th century wall paintings, a 17th century figure of death, old beams, box pews, pulpit and minstrels' gallery.
Access:- Rug Chapel: Off A494 1 mile NW of Corwen.
Access:- Llangar Church: Off B4401 1 mile S.West of Corwen.
Opening Hours 2013 - 2014
Last admission half an hour before closing.
29th March to 31st October 10.00 to 17.00 -
Llangar Church 29th March to 31st October by appointment - access to Llangar Church through the custodian at Rug Chapel (01490 412025 for details).
Llangar Church is a walk of 350yds on the B4401. Access can be difficult for people who suffer from loss of mobility.
Contact and Admission Information
Telephone:- +44 1490 412025.
Admission Charge:- Adults £3.40, Reduced rate £2.55.
Family Ticket:- £10.20 - admits 2 adults and up to 3 children under 16 years.
Three or seven day explorer passes are available to give you free admission to the historic sites in the care of Cadw.
|For a complete list of over 120 properties in the care of Cadw visit:-||Special Events
Top 2 photos:- Rug Chapel and interior
Bottom 2 photos:- Llangar Church and interior.
|Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Crown Copyright.|
|Click on the town name below to visit other areas of Wales|
|Ruthin||Snowdonia||St Asaph||Welshpool||Wrexham||Photos||Old Photos|